Type A devices are natural gas or LP gas (typically mass produced) appliances used in domestic or light commercial areas that have an appliance badge. All Type A gas devices must be approved (certified) by the Chief Inspector, Petroleum and Gas, or by a person or body approved by the Chief Inspector.
It is an offence under the P&G Act to operate a Type A Device in the absence of a Gas Safety Approval.
As Gas Fitters and the voice of the Gas Industry within Queensland, we are continually advocating Gas Safety Awareness.
For individual type devices or 'one off' approvals, applications can be made through the QGA. Please note that approvals made by the QGA approvers have no legal standing in another state and territory, unless the QGA scheme is recognised by the technical regulator of that jurisdiction.
The purpose of the Individual Type A Gas Device Approval Scheme is to provide a cost effective and practical pathway for approval; allowing manufacturers and importers to produce or import one-off or low quantities of Type A gas devices, ensuring an acceptable level of safety while still allowing for market testing and gas device (appliance) design innovation without the financial burden of laboratory based type testing.
The following are some examples of Type A Devices:
atmospheric steamers , barbecue grillers, boiling water units , Chinese cooking tables food warmers including bain-marie ,fryers, open and closed top boiling tables , pasta cookers, re-thermalises, salamanders, grillers and toasters, solid grill plates and griddles , stockpots and brat pans decorative gas log appliances and similar appliances domestic gas cooking appliances, domestic gas refrigerators, domestic outdoor gas barbeques, indirect gas-fired ducted air-heaters, gas air conditioners with the capacity to consume no more than 500MJ in an hour gas fired water heaters for hot water supply or central heating gas laundry dryers, gas pool heaters, gas space heating appliances, LP gas portable and mobile appliances LPG mobile industrial direct fired air heaters overhead radiant tube gas heater portable gas generators with the capacity to consume no more than 500MJ in an hour radiant gas heaters for outdoor and non-residential use
Please find below the link to the Department of Natural Resources and Mines, Petroleum and Gas Inspectorate, detailing the Type A Device Scheme in further detail.
Type A Gas Device Approval Scheme:
APPLYING FOR A GAS APPROVAL
Upon receipt of your application, an application fee of $112.00 will be emailed to you, please be aware that this application fee is non-refundable and is payable to the QGA, prior to a Certifier/Approval Authority contacting you.
Additional Gas Approval fees will then be charged directly by the Certifier; the Certifier's costs can vary depending on many factors. The Certifier should provide you with an estimated cost prior to proceeding with the Gas Safety Approval.
The following is a checklist of mandatory items required to complete a Gas Safety Approval, if you are unsure of any of the below, please discuss with the assigned Certifier before they attend to site:
- The equipment/appliance must be a Type A Appliance.
- The appliance must have the correct jets for the gas type it is operating.
- There needs to be gas available to test the appliance.
- The appliance may not be used or connected to as prior to certification.
- We will require a gas fitter to assist in connecting the appliance.
- The appliance needs a name badge on the equipment listing Model number, serial number, manufacturer, gas type, injector sizes, gas pressure and mega joule rating.
- If the unit has electrics, a full diagram and name plate is required.
- The technical and operational manual for the unit.
- Any specifications will be useful.
- The unit must be gas tight and safe to operate.
- It is preferred the unit not be in an operating situation to assist the process.
- A digital photo of the unit will assist.
Upon receipt of your application fee, a Certifier, will be in contact with you to discuss a date and time of certification that is suitable to both parties.
APPLICATION FOR A GAS APPROVAL
Thank you for applying to have your appliance Gas Safety Approved.
Important Notes (please read)
- For further information regarding the Gas Safety Approval Scheme, please click on the link Type A Gas Device Approval Scheme
- An application fee of $112.00 (inc GST) for each appliance, is required upon submission of your initial application form. Please note that this application fee is non-refundable and is payable to the QGA, prior to the Certifier contacting you.
- Paying for your application online, is our recommended method of payment, alternatively you are able to pay electronically into our bank account, which is detailed on the invoice.
- Please note that gas approval fees will be charged directly by the Certifier, the Certifier's costs can vary depending on many factors. The Certifier should provide you with an estimated cost prior to proceeding with the Gas Safety Approval.
- We are unable to process your application until such time that all fields have been completed.
- Our Administration Department will endeavour to contact you within 2-3 business days of receipt of your lodgment of your application , and payment of the application fee.